Fight Tips » General » General Discussion » Nose bleed problem

Notices

Nose bleed problem

General Discussion

A free for all category. Anything's okay here.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Force

Expertise Given: 30
Expertise Earned: 9
Fighting Style: boxing
Fight Record: boxing: 2 win 0 loss 1 draw
Zenny: 2,339

Default Nose bleed problem

Hey guys I've been having this problem where any time i get a good punch to my nose it bleeds, It hasn't been like this at all since I started boxing (3 years ago) and I have taken some very solid punches to the nose before and it hasn't bleed either, anyways, I was wondering if there was anyway I could make the bleeding stop besides not getting punched. Thanks
ruff2tuff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Undisputed Champion

Expertise Given: 7
Expertise Earned: 19
Fighting Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, Jiu Jitsu.
Fight Record: 3-1
Zenny: 788

Default Re: Nose bleed problem

Shit man idk some peoples noses just bleed naturally. Have you talked to your trainer about it?
Old 02-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 40
Expertise Earned: 116
Fighting Style: Kami-Sama and Karin Training
Fight Record: Wins Equal to the Number of Vaginas I have destroyed... None.
Zenny: 5,410
Reputation: PinStripes13 has a reputation beyond reputePinStripes13 has a reputation beyond repute

I hear if you use a salt wash in your nose, it helps bleeding. Never really had that problem.

I Love Cereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
If pussy makes you sick, I suggest a dental dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbehindthedoor View Post
Log on fighttips, first two posts I read all involved Pin sodomizing someone.
PinStripes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Champion

Expertise Given: 53
Expertise Earned: 228
Fighting Style: Boxing, Rugby Union(does this count?), プロレス
Zenny: 9,645
Reputation: JollyRoger has a reputation beyond reputeJollyRoger has a reputation beyond repute

There's two methods I know of, but they both take a while to work.

Method #1: Lemon Juice and Vaseline. Method taught to me by my coach in Texas. Basically mix some lemon juice with the petroleum jelly and apply some to a cotton swap and rub it inside your nose (not into your sinuses though, that's too high). Try to do it once in the morning and once at night before sleeping for about a month or two. It's gonna sting. The point is to cauterize the capillaries and what not in the top layer of the mucus membrane. It'll reduce minor bloody noses.

Method #2: Massage your nose. This is the method was taught to me by my coach in Hawaii. Basically press down firmly on your nose with the palm of your hand and make small rubbing motions onto your nose (basically smash your nose to your face gently and rub). This helps "rubberize" your nose, deadens the nerves and helps reduce minor nose bleeds. I can't remember exactly how often you should do this, but I'd suspect something like 5~10 minutes a day for about a month or two. Any more than that and it could possibly disfigure your nose shape. Not sure, just a guess.

In any case a heavy punch to the nose will almost always certainly induce a nose bleed, and these methods only remedy lighter strikes to the nose.

2006 Regional Golden Gloves Champion
2007 Coach of one State and two Regional Golden Gloves Champions
Former Fort Worth Boxing Club Coach
Former Kaka'ako Boxing Club Coach
Current Palolo Valley Boxing Club Coach
Current Ultimate Fight School Boxing Assistant Coach
Former APU Rugby Left Wing
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Given: 24
Expertise Earned: 206
Fighting Style: Goju Ryu
Zenny: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff2tuff123 View Post
Hey guys I've been having this problem where any time i get a good punch to my nose it bleeds, It hasn't been like this at all since I started boxing (3 years ago) and I have taken some very solid punches to the nose before and it hasn't bleed either, anyways, I was wondering if there was anyway I could make the bleeding stop besides not getting punched. Thanks

About nosebleeds?

Bleeding of the nose is also known as epistaxis. The majority of nose bleeding actually comes from a network collection (plexus) of arteries, called Little’s area.

There are a number of causes of course and trauma is one of the commonest reasons. In children, this may be due to picking of the nose, or even foreign bodies like beads. Other common causes are allergy and environmental exposure to extremes of heat and dryness.

Systemic problems like high blood pressure, post-sinus infection, drugs and clotting disorders can also increase the risk of more severe bleeds. Your history seems to suggest that these are not the issues in your case.

A likely explanation for your ease of bleeding is the repetitive trauma over a shorter time period, with less time for healing. Another one would simply being struck in a different manner or simply in a different position, with different distribution of the forces or different arteries being avoided or struck.

Managing it?

In terms of management, some of the advice is actually quite divided. While some references say that application of things like Petroleum Jelly/Vaseline work, others say there is little or no proof to support it. I was always under the impression that it’d be useful! Anyway, I see no harm in giving it a trial – nothing to lose! Consensus seems to be that nasal sprays do help somewhat in reducing nosebleeds. However, I believe that this may be only in reference to dry environments or those sensitive to allergens.

So Pin’s suggestion is very sensible, it is essentially the function that most nasal sprays provide – humidification and reducing effects of allergens. In all honesty, I’m not so sure about the lemon juice, as I’ve not heard of it before Jolly. The same goes with rubberizing the nose, I’ve not heard of that one either. Massaging of the nose would be a long term method, of course. Performing it just before a fight is likely to be a no-no, as it’ll most likely vasodilate the blood vessels and increase chance of increased bleeding if struck!

Been hit!

When you are in the process of bleeding, pinching just below the bony ridge and leaning forward is probably the best option. Doing this for about 10 minutes will aid clot formation and reduce chances of you swallowing blood. Applying some ice to the bridge of the nose should help, although there is also some conflict on this treatment. Packing, on the other hand is not recommended. It increases chances of introducing infection, bleeding restarts with removal and there is a chance of retaining contents in the nose as a foreign body.

Alternatively, continuous bleeding may need chemical cauterization. I’ve used it before it clinical settings and it seems quite effective. I once had to take a tissue swab sample for a lady downstairs, who had a severe, sexually transmitted infection. She bled profusely after a gentle scraping with the specimen brush. While most patients would stop bleeding quickly, or only have light bleeds, this patient had little signs of stopping! So I applied some silver nitrate to the area and it worked wonders very rapidly. This can also be used in nose bleeds, but given that it is painful, some topical anaesthetic might be used before applying to the nose. Of course, it’d best be done by your friendly medico!

Verdict?

I’m afraid I’m out of other ideas or suggestions at the moment, but I’ll try get back to you if I have anything mate. What I suggest is a short break to allow better healing before commencing any more training or bouts. In all honesty though, the face is quite vascular and bleeding is usually quite profuse when it starts. Because of vascularity, the face also heals very fast, so I am unsure how much help abstaining will help. A trial of the above alternatives will hopefully help in the meantime!

Hope that helped.
Cheers!

1 Peter 1:7

I am a Fighttips Mod, PM me if you have any questions!
Johanath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Expertise to Johanath For This Fight Tip:
Old 02-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 253
Expertise Earned: 300
Fighting Style: Kuro Goma
Fight Record: 3-6 Amateur, 2-4 Smokers
Zenny: 8,622
Reputation: SOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond reputeSOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond repute

I heard you can go to the doctor and get your silver nitrate in your nose to burn the skin so it doesnt bleed easy

I've only had 2 nosebleeds ever from getting hit

Quote:
"I began kick boxing at age fifteen and now I have continued for fifteen years. I never gave up halfway, I just continued, and when you do that I feel now, 'hey something good will come to me'. It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength. I just continued and that got me this belt." - Masato, 10/01/2008

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!
MASATO FOREVER!
SOUL_FIGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Champion

Expertise Given: 31
Expertise Earned: 37
Fighting Style: Muay Thai/Boxing, BJJ, Street Fighting
Fight Record: Don't Keep Track
Zenny: 982

Maybe it all depends on how hard the punches hit you. Get a tissue and squeeze on your nose, hard.

Getting a nose bleed is all natural after taking a solid punch.

Masato, best of K-1

Nutrition Guide:

http://www.fighttips.com/forum/healt...ion-guide.html

If you like my post, feel free to give a +rep if I helped.
TimeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Given: 1
Expertise Earned: 0
Fight Record: 2-0
Zenny: 1,303

it can have a vein split open on the inside,if it does you have to get it quarterized (bad spelling) (happened when someone pushed my face into a desk) i have quite a long nose so mine always gets hit by something whether its fists,balls(no homo),or something thrown at me
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Given: 24
Expertise Earned: 206
Fighting Style: Goju Ryu
Zenny: 6,621

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL_FIGHTER View Post
Oh yeah, Johanath
I'll be honest... I never read that dude's posts!
Soul's definitely truthful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanath View Post

Alternatively, continuous bleeding may need chemical cauterization.
So I applied some silver nitrate to the area and it worked wonders very rapidly. This can also be used in nose bleeds, but given that it is painful, some topical anaesthetic might be used before applying to the nose. Of course, it’d best be done by your friendly medico!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL_FIGHTER View Post
I heard you can go to the doctor and get your silver nitrate in your nose to burn the skin so it doesnt bleed easy

I've only had 2 nosebleeds ever from getting hit

1 Peter 1:7

I am a Fighttips Mod, PM me if you have any questions!
Johanath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Expertise to Johanath For This Fight Tip: