Fight Tips » General » General Discussion » Can someone learn martial arts on there own?

Notices

Can someone learn martial arts on there own?

General Discussion

A free for all category. Anything's okay here.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Zenny: 1,073

Default Can someone learn martial arts on there own?

Hello everyone, I have train in judo when i was in high school for only 3 months, the class only lasted for 3 month giving people the basic of self defense ( the class was held at my high school) its been years but i want to get back into training. I remember the basic but I want to learn more martial arts, I don't have the money right now to pay for classes as I am in college, and also doing my best to pay my bills. I was wondering if it is possible to learn martial arts on your own? I found some video on JKD and boxing (which I want to learn) on youtube, most of them are basic stuff. I am looking to learn to defense myself if Godfid anything was to happen, I not looking to become superman or think I am better than others. I just want to learn to defense myself better. I believe its possbile to learn off of video and books, I reed about diffenet people who have taught themselves martial arts, Calvin Vance Brock is a boxer who father taught him boxing from videos (and for anyone who say boxing isn't a martial art, the word martial art means self defense, boxing is a martial art), Jose Saenz is a self-taught boxer, and i read that Evan Loyd Tanner who was a UFC fighter learn wrestling in high school, but taught himself submission and grappling techniques using instructional videos in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu after high school when he was going into mma. I believe it is possbile to learn from video and books, but I would like to hear your thoughts on self taught martial arts. If anyone here know anyone who is self taught, can you please share there story or a website, book or link about them. Please leave any tips or advice, thank you all for your time God Bless.
bonafide7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 10
Expertise Earned: 163
Fighting Style: Greatness
Fight Record: 1-0 Semi-pro boxing, 0-5 World stage kickboxing, 7-0 (MT&Boxing/FC) Interclubs/smokers
Zenny: 10,722
Reputation: TheGenius has a reputation beyond reputeTheGenius has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Can someone learn martial arts on there own?

Not really, no. You can pratice what you've already learned, but that's about it. Untill your situation changes and you're able to join a gym/dojo of some kind, you wont improve much(reletiv to your progress in a gym).

Just ask if you need help. After all, I am a FightTips MOD and a Genius
My videos: http://www.fighttips.com/forum/video...ollection.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
I don't think it is too much to say you could very well be the best fighter on the site, Genius.

-Luther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
And this is why you WILL be the champ some day, Mads!

-Shane
Okey, I had to put this up aswell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokey View Post
I have been doing taekwondo for about 4 weeks and ive learned this move called the low kick.
TheGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Champion

Expertise Given: 22
Expertise Earned: 28
Fighting Style: Tang Soo Do, Go-Kan-Ryu, Shotokan.
Fight Record: 2-1-0
Zenny: 801

No, who's going to pick up on mistakes you make but can't tell that you're doing.
You learn from your mistakes, and you're not going to know your mistakes unless you train with a trainer at a gym or dojo etc.
You'll fall down, You'll stumble, You'll get pushed, You'll land flat on your face, but every time that happens, You get back on your feet, You get up as fast as you can, No matter how many times you need to do it, Remember this; Success has been and continues to be defined as getting up one more time than you've been knocked down.

AngloDaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Earned: 12
Fighting Style: Wing Chun
Zenny: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngloDaxon View Post
No, who's going to pick up on mistakes you make but can't tell that you're doing.
You learn from your mistakes, and you're not going to know your mistakes unless you train with a trainer at a gym or dojo etc.
There you have a good point. To learn in a good way to defend yourself, you need someone who can guide you along this path, so i also advice (one you got the money or something) that you go in a gym/club or even train in private with someone. Maybe friends at school that have experience? i don't know, something in that nature.
KennethDesmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Undisputed Champion

Expertise Given: 1
Expertise Earned: 17
Fighting Style: Kyokushin
Fight Record: Loss at Kyokushin Tournament
Zenny: 3,279

Ya won't get very far on your own. Join a gym/dojo, it'll help.
J12Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Contender

Expertise Given: 35
Expertise Earned: 15
Fighting Style: TKD,combat kickboxing and boxing
Fight Record: 0-1
Zenny: 1,131

no u can't, like everyones said u need a trainer to pick up on the things your doing wrong. also please use the search function as this question has been asked a lot of times 8)

http://en.grepolis.com/invite-428821..._invite_linkrl
rememberthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 97
Zenny: 562

No, you won't get far by attempting to teach yourself, and if you're as hard headed as me, you won't take that for a answer. So I'll give you some reasons in hope that it will help you. and also in hope that I can get some positive rep.

Reason one
If you do something wrong, there will be no one to correct you, and you will do it again. And again. And again. Until it's embeded into your style. Then when you try to use it, It won't work.
Reason two
It'll be hard to learn how to do the stuff in the first place, without someone to guide you.
Reason three
There will be no one to stop you from quiting.
Reason four
You will get confused if it doesn't work and there is nobody to tell you why.
Grit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Given: 9
Expertise Earned: 28
Fighting Style: Muay thai, Hung Kuen, Wing Chun, Boxing, Krav Maga
Fight Record: 3 street wins
Zenny: 1,872

... i learnt fine without going to a gym O_O i learnt how to punch and when i started boxing he didnt really say anything that was wrong about how i punched. it was generally okay. if you ARE going to learn by yourself. make sure you watch a video clearly explaining how to do it. teaching you how your arm and wrist are supposed to move when you punch or something like that.

though. i do advise you to learn from a gym because it does help you learn faster.

but in my personal opinion after i got fairly experienced in martial arts when i saw techniques i tried replicating them and after studying the technique a bit more i got the hang of it without a trainer... anybody else like this?

i feel that if you already know a decent amount in martial arts learning from videos or books is much more effective than before you start.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: jiu-jitsu,teakwondo,wrestling,hopefully boxing soon
Fight Record: 0-0 undefeated!! haha
Zenny: 1,171

like others say you learn from your mistakes and you'll need someone there to help you but practicing what you know will get you better at it i guess like bruce lee says '' I do not fear the man who's practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I do fear the man who has practiced 1 kick 10,000 times''
SantiagoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Expertise Given: 20
Expertise Earned: 78
Fighting Style: Boxing / Japanese Ju Jitsu 柔 術
Fight Record: 5-0-0 (Boxing) Green Belt in Ju Jitsu
Zenny: 1,152
Reputation: BoxerJay has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerJay has a reputation beyond repute

Boxing / Kickboxing / Thai Boxing - MAYBE but you won't be perfect, far from it really.

Any proper in depth martial art (like Judo in this case) then I would say no.
[URL="http://www.fighttips.com/forum/health-nutrition/16682-creatine-faq.html"][COLOR="Blue"][B]CREATINE FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] / [URL="http://www.fighttips.com/forum/training-technique/16685-general-weightlifting-faq.html"][COLOR="Blue"][B]GENERAL WEIGHT LIFTING FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] / [URL="http://www.fighttips.com/forum/personal-training-logs/18181-home-training-faq.html"][COLOR="Blue"][B]HOME TRAINING FAQ[/B][/COLOR][/URL] - [B][U]Boxers Join This[/U][/B] [URL="http://www.fighttips.com/forum/group.php?groupid=46"][COLOR="Blue"][B][U]Group![/U][/B][/COLOR][/URL] [SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"] 柔 術[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[B]Use code [COLOR="Red"]MP90337[/COLOR] for 5% off your first order at [url][COLOR="Black"]www.myprotein.co.uk[/COLOR][/url] - Good quality supplements at cheap prices! :cool:[/B]
[IMG]http://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s326/x1c90h/bugkh1.gif[/IMG]
BoxerJay is offline   Reply With Quote