Fight Tips » Street fighting » How to Street Fight » Martial Arts in a Street Fight (Breakdown)

Notices

Martial Arts in a Street Fight (Breakdown)

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 22
Expertise Earned: 368
Fighting Style: Muay Thai/Lethwei, Kali/FMA(Blended), Kar-ao-ke, Western Boxing, BJJ/Judo/Shoot, Maphilindo Silat.
Fight Record: Judo: 12-15, BJJ: 9-6,Thai Smokers: 6-3, FMA Full Gear: 1-4, FMA Minimal: 4-2, Interclub Boxing: 1-2
Zenny: 23,266
Reputation: Luther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond repute

Default Martial Arts in a Street Fight (Breakdown)

Luther’s Street Fight Breakdown

Okay, guys so I noticed there are a lot of misconceptions and confusion over what martial art is the ‘best’ for a street fight. Now of course it all depends on the user, the instructor, and/or the situation. This is not a ‘must use this’ list, but more of just a breakdown of the separate arts that help more in a street fight, from my experience and the experience of others. I have given each art a rating to from my opinion and that of the martial art community of large.

Krav Maga-4 /5. Krav Maga is a great martial art to use on the street. It is a relatively simple and straight forward, which is good in street combat where complex moves can be forgotten. It is used by special agents and special forces the world over. Most Krav Maga instructors also teach hard conditioning using pads to batter the defender in order for the defender to learn how to act under pressure and confusion. Designed for combat it is very good at handing multiple attackers as well as armed attackers. It consists of ‘battering’ techniques for the most part designed to make the attacker submit from the assault. One of the cons of Krav Maga is that it has a habit of plateau-ing after a certain point. The moves can also be too committed as well and sometimes work off of the concept of a one or two strike victory.

Muay Thai-3.5/5.
Muay Thai is a very common art in today’s MMA world and lots of people claim it works well on the street. Which it does. Consisting of punches, elbows, knees, feet, and in Muay Boran, the head. Thai fighters have good footwork and are very good at working at different ranges. It is a very hard style, meaning that the average Muay Thai fighter is used to a little bit of contact; something more traditional styles lack. They are also used to taking hits and as such can recover will in a street fight. Some of the cons of Muay Thai in a street fight are that it is not as effective against ‘pure’ street styles (Krav Maga, Kali, Silat, Systema) and Muay Thai’s fighting style is designed for rounds of fighting and not so much as a really quick victory. Also, Muay Thai is a very limited style with only a handful of strikes and no ground work or takedowns. (Idiot disclaimer: Yes, I am aware that Muay Thai "throws" from the clinch, now stop asking and looking stupid)

Western Boxing-3/5. Western Boxing shares many of the same qualities as Muay Thai when it comes to being a hard style. However boxing does not have any strikes outside of punches and relies on footwork to beat other arts. The cons of a boxer a pretty obvious as it has no kicks, takedowns, groundwork, and plays by a lot of rules. However, if you decide to go toe-to-toe with a boxer, you will get rocked.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu(BJJ)-3.25/5. I’m sure a lot of people will disagree with me here, but I think that BJJ loses a lot of its power on the street. It is purely a ground fighting art. One on one it is a very effective art worthy of at least a 4/5. However, on the street it is a death sentence to go to the ground. If you are jumped you will get stomped/kicked. That being said: BJJ can mangle people very easily. It can be used to fight much larger opponents and is the pinnacle of rape protection (yes, it happens to men too).

Judo-3.5/5.
Judo is very similar to BJJ, but also consists of takedowns as well as ground work, hence the slightly higher rating. One of the problems with Judo takedowns is that it often takes both fighters to the ground. This brings us back to the same problem as BJJ.

Kali 4.5/5. I am very biased on this style as it is my expertise. Kali is a very old style and is considered the elite of street combat. It is designed to combat many opponents and is a war style. It uses open hand, short blades, long blades, impact weapons, flexible weapons (i.e.: rope), nunchuka, two handed weapons, biting, etc. It is very indepth and almost impossible to learn everything there is to know, however this is also, its con. Kali takes much longer than many martial arts to become proficient, however once that point is reached the practitioner is very dangerous.

Kickboxing*-3.25/5. I felt it only fair to give kickboxing a rate in between Muay Thai and Boxing. Kickboxing is another hard style that is fairly effective on the street. As its name suggests it works with kicks and punches. These are straight forward and simple and hold up will in a conflict. However no knees or elbows are allowed in kickboxing and most groups (In the United States) don’t allow low kicks like in Muay Thai. As such it again loses out to other styles due to rules and regulations.

Wrestling*-3/5. Wrestling is an okay style for street fighting, but again lacks the proper stand-up necessary in an altercation. Wrestling does have some good take downs and has good stand-up grappling. However once on the ground, wrestling matches often last too long to be completely effective and lose out to BJJ. However a wrestler is very good at projecting weight onto the attacker and if well trained can overpower one attacker on the ground quite well without inflicting lasting damage.

Tae Kwon Do(TKD) – 2.75/5. Sorry TKD guys, but it’s really not a practical street fighting style. I have been beaten by TKD guys, but only in the ring and they were both 2 degree Black Belts. TKD has too much flash to be used on the street, such as high flying and spinning style kicks. TKD does have some simple and straight forward moves, but not enough in variation to be completely effective in a street fight. Another problem is TKD guys are not used to being hit hard as most tournaments only allow up to medium strength hits and no face shots.

School Yard Brawl – 2/5. School yard brawling may look effective to the untrained eye, but haymakers and random swinging are far from effective against a trained fighter. This is less of a rating and more of a warning for all of you out there thinking: “Martial Arts are for wimps”. Against a good martial artist you will lose every single time. But hey, it’s cheap to learn.

Wing Chun Kung Fu – 3.75/5. Wing Chun can get a bad rep in the martial art world, but that’s because it’s not truly understood. Wing Chun is a very linear and closed style that protects the body very well. It is fast and efficient, however it is very hard to find a good school because of Bruce Lee. It is a centerline attack style and the attacks are very non-committed. Wing Chun trapping is also very good. A great style if you can find a good school. I have never ‘fully’ trained in Wing Chun, but my studio teaches it at the highest degree and I often watch.

Hapkido – 2.75/5. Ok, Hapkido is a little tough to rate. I give it such a low rating because of the fact of its overly complicated for what you get. Hapkido is mostly joint locks and strikes that work towards joint locks. Kicking and takedowns are also included which make it a little more effective. However on the street, joint locks only work as long as pressure is applied and that means you must commit to one attacker at a time and that as soon as you let go, they are good to go (unless you use a joint break). Also, some of the techniques take up too much room for urban areas like an alley. However, Hapkido is still very effective one on one to contain a situation without hurting the person too much. I feel the need to restate that all of these reviews are overviews and that there are always exceptions.

Silat – 4.5/5. Silat is very similar to Kali, which is understandable as they were developed in the same location. It too is a war style, that is to say, designed for multiple attackers and quick, efficient attacks. Silat varies greatly so it is hard to point down one style of fighting among practitioners, however most share these traits: A low center of gravity, an advanced weapon system that is interchangeable to unarmed combat, and advanced footwork. Silat typically delivers a very brutal attack that is intended to drive the attacker to the ground where the Silat practitioner can deliver the fatal strikes or negate the attacker’s ability to combat him. One difference between Kali and Silat is that Kali favors muscle/flesh destruction, Silat favors bone destruction. It remains to be seen which is better.

Shotokan Karate - 3.25. Shotokan Karate recieves a mid-ground rating because it is exactly that. A mid-ground martial art. It is a kata based system which helps with muscle memory, but has a habit of limiting options. It has a realistic street fighting system that takes into account cheap shots and has many itself. However, it is static and relies to much on a one or two hit win system. This is mostly the schools that teach Shotokan's fault. It, like TKD, has been McDojoed. Also, Shotokan Karate stresses hard blocks and strikes but does not utilize breaks and other 'street' varible attacks.

Savate - 3.5. Okay, now before everyone freaks I am talking about the street style French Savate, not Boxe francaise. It was made for the streets and then taken to the ring, not the other way around. Savate is French kickboxing that is designed to be done with shoes. They kick with the toe tip in a flicking or stabbing motion. Often these are designed to hit the attackers liver, kidneys and diaphragm which usually will drop an attack to the ground. Also, in the street version of Savate shin kicking similar to Thai is taught. Savate also teaches very good transitions between kicks and punches. One downside to Savate is that it can often easily off balance if the person is not trained enough. Also, no knees and elbows are taught in most Savate, which are very useful on the street.

Japanese Jiu-Jitsu(JJJ) - 4/5. I give JJJ a higher rating than most people would, purely because it has such a all encompassing system. Bjj, Judo, and Karate all came from JJJ. It has all the elements of the arts I just listed as well as some that it has all to itself, such as knife techniques. The only down side with JJJ is that it has a habit of not evolving to the times. What I mean by that is that JJJ can at times seem trapped in the time of the Samurai and is unwilling to adapt to today's society. This is best seen in their weapons mindset. Arnis/Kali, Silat, and Krav Maga have all moved toward a more modern system of defense, JJJ has not. However, it is still one of the best for street defense.

Mixed Martial Arts(MMA) - 3.75. I give MMA a higher rating purely because it is well rounded and used to contact. It often has Thai, Judo, BJJ, and Wrestling in it, which means it is well rounded. However, this rating, if it was to take into account human personality, would be much lower. Many MMA fighters rush into fights, hoping that their training will help them out, however MMA is purely sport and often fighters forget this. Also, many people claim to do MMA, but have very poor abilities. In a perfect world MMA gets a 3.75, however, taking in humans I would give it a 3.25.

Planning on expanding on some of these.

This is just the start. Write in on what you want to hear more about. I’ll be adding Savate, several Kung Fu styles, traditional Jiu-Jitsu, and several others later if the demand is there. I am not a master of any of these arts, so if some of you think that I have an error or have over looked something please say so. However, keep in mind that this is for people looking to get into a martial art to help them on the street and we don’t need to be micro-detailed. Just to get the main point.

Thanks for reading,

-Luther

*Both kickboxing and wrestling are pretty broad terms and in this context are generally considered to be the 'American' style. I might add shoot wrestling and similar stuff later.

No Longer a FightTips Moderator; Retired. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.

Last edited by Luther; 06-17-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 83 Users Gave Expertise to Luther For This Fight Tip:
AngloDaxon, AnthonyMMA, atlboxer, Aviggy, BigriderCZ, BOMBII, Boxerbest, Brucho, cellruto, ChaosPrince, charge52, Cheetah, ClassicKidd, Cogs0fWar, Colejack3, Cousin, Cromwell, deeke, Deligiann, devestation, Diruhk, Emotion, EricTheRed9393, fce, Fiamski, FightForFreedom, FisherKing, Formless, Game, Ghaar, Guv, H3rby, iB0x, Ilusionaryleft, JohnJohnJohn, Juno, JustinLeeSF, KAFREAKINBOOM, kamitsure, Kamputangina, karatekid, Krauss, kyheretic, LadyJuggernaut, levienne, Lilybear, mma4life, MMAalltheway, Mualim, NeoRave, NicoAbuin, Nightmaregrind, Peter, PinStripes13, Potatorade, pranksteer, Qubet, Rik, ryuken, Sagittar, Saiyan, samuraiprotocol, scarp, scottnoyb, Sharky, Snaper, sschmitz511, stuart, T1b0, TheInsane, Timonsaylor, tkoking, tonyv156, TopLad, Toxic, TurtleSlayer, Uys, vitaminjames, Vomit, Wesker, westmagpies, XxBlackxX, Zaid
Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 40
Expertise Earned: 116
Fighting Style: Kami-Sama and Karin Training
Fight Record: Wins Equal to the Number of Vaginas I have destroyed... None.
Zenny: 4,793
Reputation: PinStripes13 has a reputation beyond reputePinStripes13 has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Street Fight Breakdown

I will agree with the rating of BJJ, but, I think if you use it intelligently you can easily take on 2-4 opponents. There are takedown techniques that I've learned, and I have knocked out a sparring partner on accident due to a throw.
I'd give Judo a slight rating boost for that same fact. Infact, there are several throws whose action is to cause a knockout.

I Love Cereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
If pussy makes you sick, I suggest a dental dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesbehindthedoor View Post
Log on fighttips, first two posts I read all involved Pin sodomizing someone.
PinStripes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Expertise to PinStripes13 For This Fight Tip:
Old 02-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
BOSS

Fighting Style: Muay Thai/Lethwei, Kali/FMA(Blended), Kar-ao-ke, Western Boxing, BJJ/Judo/Shoot, Maphilindo Silat.
Fight Record: Judo: 12-15, BJJ: 9-6,Thai Smokers: 6-3, FMA Full Gear: 1-4, FMA Minimal: 4-2, Interclub Boxing: 1-2
Reputation: Luther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just started Judo, so I'm still getting a feel for it. I'll investigate a little more.

-Luther

No Longer a FightTips Moderator; Retired. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
The Following 6 Users Gave Expertise to Luther For This Fight Tip:
Old 02-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Undisputed Champion

Expertise Given: 47
Expertise Earned: 17
Fighting Style: Boxing & Kickboxing
Fight Record: 1-1
Zenny: 2,418

I find it funny how no one has given Lutehr expertise yet.

"For sure I get angry, I get mad, and sometimes I want to say bad things but I am a martial artist. I stand for something and I fight for something and it’s not my style to talk like that even though sometimes it’s hard. It’s a lot harder to not [talk smack] than to let yourself go and be disrespectful. That is my nature. I want to take the high road"
George "Rush" St. Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL_FIGHTER View Post
A muay thai stance is impractical? You're not doing it right, shit fuck.
sschmitz511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Gatekeeper

Expertise Given: 38
Expertise Earned: 6
Fighting Style: street, taekwondo, wrestling, some skills from kung fu
Fight Record: 11-0 unofficial (one KO 8 submissions) 3-0 TKD sparring over 120 wrestling matches
Zenny: 2,306

how about kickboxing theres a gym around my area i found out (finally thank God) and they teach that and MMA but idk if i want to get into that I'm not sure why...
Anyways I live in Iowa its the state with prolly some of the most youth wrestlers around and i did it for five years but now some of the people i could really whip then can beat me in straight up as of this winter (until now they couldnt) and i quit about 3 years ago haha! I think I'm going to do it again next winter the season is like over now so yeah...
but what im asking is how would kickboxing fair against a wrestler? i could really whip them if i could keep them on their feet but if they got me on the ground id prolly be in some trouble but not too much cuz of my background but the thing with straight up wrestlers is that they sometimes just go with wrestling rules which im ok with cuz i know how to get around that so yeah
-rating for kickboxing
-how do you think it would do against wrestlers
-also a rating for wrestling
ive found that wrestling would definitely beat some one who doesnt know anything
MMAalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
BOSS

Alright, thats good to hear. I'll try to add both of those in the next couple hours.

-Luther

Old 02-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Gatekeeper

Expertise Given: 38
Expertise Earned: 6
Fighting Style: street, taekwondo, wrestling, some skills from kung fu
Fight Record: 11-0 unofficial (one KO 8 submissions) 3-0 TKD sparring over 120 wrestling matches
Zenny: 2,306

alright thanks man ill have to check them thanks again
MMAalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
BOSS

Got done with the homework early so I updated it already.

-Luther

Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Legend

Expertise Given: 117
Expertise Earned: 83
Fighting Style: Kickboxing, SJJ
Fight Record: I Aint no bitch homie
Zenny: 2,411
Reputation: Homiesdontknowaboutsparta has a reputation beyond reputeHomiesdontknowaboutsparta has a reputation beyond repute

Wait so I kickbox...but when we spar we go full contact but with no knee or elbow strikes...but ive learned how to clinch quite a bit and throw elbows/knees...but I never get to spar with them. SO WTF AM I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibault View Post
boxing but with your legs too...and punch hard
Homiesdontknowaboutsparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
BOSS

Kickboxing has many many variations. I did a quick search and found on Wikipedia this: "Arts labelled as kickboxing include:[2]

Adithada (Indian boxing) – A form of kickboxing that uses knee, elbow and forehead strikes.
Lethwei (Burmese boxing) – Traditional Burmese martial arts of which has now grown into a popular kickboxing event with strong emphasis on knee, elbow strikes and headbutt. Any part of the body may be used to strike and be struck. It is also known as Bando kickboxing.
Pradal Serey (Khmer "Cambodian" kickboxing) – Possible predecessor of Muay Thai with an emphasis on elbow techniques.
Gwon-gyokdo (Korean kickboxing) that is a mix between Muay Thai and Tae Kwon Do.
Muay Thai (Thai boxing) – Traditional Thai martial art of which has now grown into a popular kickboxing event with strong emphasis on knee and elbow strikes.
Muay Boran (Ancient boxing) – Predecessor of Muay Thai, allows the use of headbutts.
Japanese kickboxing – Similar to Muay Thai, but different point system is taken. The first fighting style to adopt the name of "Kickboxing".
American kickboxing – It is not allowed to kick below the waist.
Savate (French boxing) – Allows the use of shoes.
Sanshou (Sanda) (Chinese boxing) – The applicable component of wushu/kung fu of which takedowns and throws are legal in competition as well as all other sorts of striking (use of arms and legs).
Shoot boxing – A Japanese form of kickboxing which allows throwing and submission while standing, similar to Sanshou.
Yaw-Yan (Filipino kickboxing) – Sayaw ng Kamatayan (Dance of Death) is the proper name for Yaw-Yan, a Filipino martial art developed by Napoleon Fernandez. The art resembles Muay Thai in a sense, but differs in the hip torquing motion as well as downward-cutting of its kicks.
Russian kickboxing,draka similar to Shootboxing, using Kickboxing techniques with Sambo throws and takedowns.
Freestyle Kickboxing A derivative of various Kickboxing styles that is developed to effectively compete & defend against other styles.
There are many additional derivatives of these forms, as well as combined styles which have been used in specific competitions (e.g. K-1)."

-Luther

The Following 7 Users Gave Expertise to Luther For This Fight Tip: