Fight Tips » Street fighting » How to Street Fight » how to make taekwondo effective

Notices

how to make taekwondo effective

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 AM   #61 (permalink)
Gatekeeper

Expertise Given: 13
Expertise Earned: 12
Fighting Style: Muay Thai,Wrestling with incorporated BJJ
Fight Record: HS Wrestling: 35-5 Street: 8-0
Zenny: 852

Default Re: how to make taekwondo effective

TKD is a great style for training kicks and flexibility a lot of pro fighters trained TKD however i suggest taking another martial art along with it perhaps boxing or muay thai because lets be serious a lot(not all) of TKD kicks are all for show and not effective.
Nigdnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #62 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: ITF Taekwondo (currently)
Zenny: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic View Post
combine it with other things. TKD is a good way to make your thai kicks less round. You can bring them straight up instead, tkd style, but turn them over like muay thai when you hit your target area. This way, it's a faster kick, harder to see, and it can sneak up under the arm and strike the ribcage easier.
This is a good analysis, I am solely a TKD guy I've trained for years in it and I know its flaws, lots of people will knock traditional MAs like karate, kung fu, Taekwondo and Aikido simply because they are not MMA. Mixing up martial arts is good because you are not constricted to one style, you can mix it up a bit, be the best fighter you can be. Regardless of whether your with an ITF or WTF club, you need to join a boxing club too, Taekwondo fails at teaching boxing, I myself even though I am a huge huge fan of TKD know that we punch, we do not box lol

My advice is, if your into competition sparring, stick solely to TKD training because Hooks, knee/thigh kicks and takedowns are banned usually, but if your looking into self defence/Mixed style competition sparring you need to incorporate several different MAs.

Hope I helped, rep up and if you need anything more do PM I will be happy to answer any questions
Cneeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #63 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 3
Expertise Earned: 93
Fight Record: Score is irrelevant
Zenny: 10,548
Reputation: SpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cneeson View Post
This is a good analysis, I am solely a TKD guy I've trained for years in it and I know its flaws, lots of people will knock traditional MAs like karate, kung fu, Taekwondo and Aikido simply because they are not MMA.
But mma is mixed martial arts. So if you combine any 2 martial arts or use them both in any way, you do mma. Technically, I am a mixed martial artist since I trained in TKD which was combined with aikido, judo, and karate. But I'm a traditional mixed martial artist, not one of the more common "mma guys" who do BJJ and MT.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #64 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 7
Expertise Earned: 1
Fighting Style: Dirty Boxing, BJJ, Taekwondo
Zenny: 610

Ive trained in TKD too, the best advise i have to offer if using it in a street fight is to avoid the higher kicks that could lead to being taken down or even just losing balance. combine it with other punch based styles like boxing. But as long as you train hard in the styles that you do learn, anything can be effective.
HalfSquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #65 (permalink)
Underdog

Expertise Given: 19
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: Taekwondo, Kickboxing
Fight Record: Same old same old
Zenny: 1,029

Taekwondo is not weak i have used plenty of times and have beaten muay thai fighters
ShadowKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #66 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 21
Expertise Earned: 1
Fighting Style: Boxing, Tae Kwon Do
Fight Record: 1-0 (street fight)
Zenny: 759

sport taekwondo is bullsh!t in a streetfight. but the ancient form seems to be pretty applicable.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #67 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 6
Expertise Earned: 2
Fighting Style: Wing Chun, Boxing, San Shou, Judo, GojuRyu Karate, Tiger/Dragon Gung Fu
Fight Record: 17 Unofficial Cage Fights, 12 Won, 5 Lost. A fair few street fights as well.
Zenny: 1,330

Keep away from the flashier moves unless you reckon you're simply amazing.
Cross train in boxing to improve your hand work, or simply merge it with your Muay Thai, use the TKD kicks intelligently, to control the distance until you're ready to go in for a close range barrage.
Cheers mate.

V
ThatRandomBlokeX is offline   Reply With Quote