Notices

Pain Tolerance

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: Boxing, Wrestling, and MMA
Fight Record: unofficial fights
Zenny: 1,025

Default Pain Tolerance

One very important thing that I have learned about fighting is your pain tolerance. Now, I have a friend with a horrible pain tolerance. He's real skinny and such a fucking baby. A girl passed a basketball to him and it hit him in the chest so he cried and told his mom. The kid has problems. Especially because of the fact that he is in 7th grade. Now my other friend and I have a very good pain tolerance. We can withstand lots of pain. We would always spend time playing mercy and we could beat anyone. We almost never felt pain.

The reason why this is so important is because you need to be able to take a punch so it won't leave an impression on you that will distract you as much. I had to train to get a good pain tolerance. I'm sure that almost all of you have an amazing pain tolerance but there is always room or improvement. Here are some tips to help.

You could get a medicine ball or something else thats heavy and hit your stomach with it and lots of other places. (As seen on one of Shane's videos)

You could also get a friend to put on some gloves and punch you. Tell them to not go easy. Make sure you breathe and to breathe out as if you were not expecting the punch. (Also seen on one of Shane's videos)

I've been doing this for as long as I can remember. Get a stick or something hard in a stick shape. The start rubbing hardly or smacking your shins with the stick to toughen it up. It will help a lot with kicking.

This one actually helps more with punching power. I'm sure many of you have heard of this before. Just get a wooden board and punch it. Start off light at first but then get harder.

If you already knew all of this then (which you probably have) then I'm sorry. Don't blast me. This was really just meant as a refresher. Did I do good for my first actual advice article?
EricW484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 22
Expertise Earned: 368
Fighting Style: South-East Asian
Zenny: 24,020
Reputation: Luther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Pain Tolerance

Do not smack your shins with sticks. Do not punch boards with your hands. This will only get you hurt.

Pain Tolerance has many levels and many varieties. Lets see the tough men out there go run about....7 miles at a fast rate. Then talk about pain tolerance. Internal pain tolerance as well, I don't care how tough you are, a few good liver shots and you will go down.

Pain tolerance can be improved, but to attack your body is just stupid. I could cut off a few fingers, I'm sure that would help, right?

Medicine ball? Yes.

Body shots? Yes.

Hitting shit with your bones? No.

-Luther

No Longer a FightTips Moderator; Retired. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 3
Expertise Earned: 93
Fight Record: Score is irrelevant
Zenny: 10,514
Reputation: SpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who has a super-high pain tolerance for any sort of blunt force. Punch him in the guy, he doesn't feel pain. Drop a metal baseball bat on his toe (no shoes), he doesn't feel pain. Break a piece of wood over his back, he doesn't even flinch. But if he gets cut, it hurts like hell. His pain tolerance is only for being struck with things. But anything sharp that cuts him will make him yell.

There's different kinds of tolerance, and sometimes, you just can't do anything about it.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Earned: 1
Fighting Style: BJJ,Judo,Aikido,Krav Maga
Fight Record: Street fights: 17W(submissions),40L(back when I nvr knew BJJ)
Zenny: 925

I used to have below average pain tolerance...but after some BJJ(which hurts a fucking lot), I was able to withstand pain,trust me,the pain of a punch is nothing compared to a broken arm/knee.

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim" - RCJ Machado

"If size mattered,the elephant would be the King of the Jungle"-Rickson Gracie

"Men are made in many different shapes and sizes with different athletic abilities,but BJJ makes us all equal" - Grandmaster Helio Gracie
ArmorKingRulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 22
Expertise Earned: 368
Fighting Style: South-East Asian
Zenny: 24,020
Reputation: Luther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond repute

BJJ.....hurts? I think I'm doing something wrong then.

-Luther

No Longer a FightTips Moderator; Retired. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Earned: 1
Fighting Style: BJJ,Judo,Aikido,Krav Maga
Fight Record: Street fights: 17W(submissions),40L(back when I nvr knew BJJ)
Zenny: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther View Post
BJJ.....hurts? I think I'm doing something wrong then.

-Luther
The damage was accidental,some fucker I trained with forgot what a tap is and I suffered a broken arm...

“A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.” - Royce Gracie

"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim" - RCJ Machado

"If size mattered,the elephant would be the King of the Jungle"-Rickson Gracie

"Men are made in many different shapes and sizes with different athletic abilities,but BJJ makes us all equal" - Grandmaster Helio Gracie
ArmorKingRulez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endurance, endure, pain, tolerance, training