Fight Tips » Street fighting » How to Street Fight » How do you read and opponents kick?

Notices

How do you read and opponents kick?

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Given: 3
Expertise Earned: 1
Fighting Style: Muay thai, boxing, tai chi, brawler, street fighter
Fight Record: Records are for those with egos
Zenny: 622

Question How do you read and opponents kick?

Since i was originally a boxer, now practicing muay thai i know when someone is going to punch and if it will land. However, kicks are different i can barely tell the difference in lokks between a calf, thigh, midesection, or high kick. How do you determine this? I usually dodge by a hairs breath.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Hero

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 17
Fighting Style: monkey poo kung fu
Zenny: 4,955

Default Re: How do you read and opponents kick?

Just something you will slowly learn with more sparring. If you think you are bad you should have seen me going from judo/sambo into muay thai.
brb weird ass movements when getting knee'd in the ribs.

One thing I did with a training partner prior to his fights was i'd attack and he would only defend for 5 minute rounds. It was amazing for my offense training and awesome for his defense. It's worth trying out if you have the free time in the gym.
I typically look at the hips sections while judo style grappling, a bit higher with kickboxing and then the highest with boxing but hey that is just works with me.
How bad do you want these results, chex? Overcome the pain and temptations. Be the best. Make it happen. You only have one time to live and one time to be young. Push yourself, you're not going to die. Be elite.

-Shane

I am a MOD

Last edited by chexmix323; 09-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.
chexmix323 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Expertise to chexmix323 For This Fight Tip:
Old 09-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Champion

Expertise Earned: 35
Fighting Style: WTF Taekwondo, G-Safe Krav Maga, Kickboxing.
Zenny: 2,514

Watch the hips.

And spar.

A lot.
Your idea of fun is training with your friend, carrying logs in the woods. Kicking each other in the balls. Bashing each other whichever way you feel on that day and even fighting in the basement. In what world are you an average white boy? lol

-Akosta

(3.5 years) (Noob) TKD WTF (inactive)

The Complete Saga of Pyramidhead and rawsnl
rawsnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Inspiration

Expertise Given: 51
Expertise Earned: 129
Fighting Style: Street, Boxing
Zenny: 12,602
Reputation: Akosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond repute

depends on who your fighting, someone who isnt used to using them can be pretty easy to read, just like when a amateur telegraphs his punches, but ive found when im fighting more well trained people its harder to see, so i have to watch the feet and pray i notice the footwork or weight transfer, and then if someone is an awesome kicker, i just guess from his face and try to crowd him because a good kicker only needs a few heavy low kicks to fuck my leg up lol.

The type of kicks make a difference, sparing bareknuckled with friends i found only 2 person who could high kick fast enough that i couldnt catch it or dodge, another 1 who could kick my abdomen faster than i could catch, another who could teep like a fucking horse, and a couple who could low kick the fuck outa me.

Ive never officially trained in any kicking, which makes me think that high kicks are very stupid to use in a street fight, given that in all the people who have thrown a high kick at me only 2 could actually connect at all. Those 2 were not normal people, tbh against them I would have been maimed if we weren't just friendly sparring, both had been trained for years, one a gang member from one of the most violent areas in my country, the other was patched member of a biker gang, had been patched at 16 and believe it or not studied shaolin kempo since he was 8. Im not joking when i say either of them could literally have killed me in a street fight. So those 2 were both trained heavily in kicking, and had massive amounts of experience in using kicks.

There was another guy i sparred who was TKD who could catch my in the abdomen fairly easily with his kicks, but lacked experience to adapt if i close in.

I think low kicks are the best to use unless you are highly trained an experienced with the higher kicks, a failed punch leaves you open, a failed high kick can cost you alot more.
Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And
since Hiroshima we know what is at stake." - Viktor E. Frankl
Akosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Psy
All Hype

Expertise Given: 4
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: Kung-Fu
Zenny: 495

Kicks are more diffciult to predict (the type).
Usually I look at the eyes t opredict their moves.

Amateurs usually SHOUT about the move they will do. (I have this problem as well)

Quote:
"How much you could know about yourself if you never been in a fight?"
Psy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Hero

Expertise Given: 67
Expertise Earned: 70
Fighting Style: Fighting
Fight Record: Two-Hundred-and-Thirty-Five-Thousand-Nine-Hundred-and-Seventy-Three/0. Streetfights to the death.
Zenny: 4,354
Reputation: Formless has a reputation beyond reputeFormless has a reputation beyond repute

Practice it slowly first with a kicker. You need to get used to the motion before the kick. The foot placement, the hip rotation etc. Train slowly, then you can teach yourself what to look out for. Then... progression. Faster kicks, greater volume of kicks, feints, set ups etc.
Just give it time. Rome wasn't build in a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraiprotocol View Post
The thing I know about people is that most are full of fear and full of shit.
Formless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
All Hype

Since I'm near sighted and fight without my glasses I usually use my intuition to tell me what to do and pick and choose what to dodge, side step, or completely avoid.

For example my friend and i sparred in a dimmly lit gym. Combined with the bad light and my eyes I was at the disadvantage. He has to have at least 50 lbs on me. He suddenly throws a head kick (in which he's wearing black pants) that I barely blocked by a hairs breadth, but the immense amount of weight he had on me pushed me. So I just went with the direction of the kick kicking the ground to back up, blocking with my hands. Even with all this I was a bit injured and for some reason shaken. As I tried to counter the hit with a spinning back fist, but my body rotated so slowly that I couldnt understand it.

Pretty much how does a near-sighted person avoid the legs.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Inspiration

Expertise Given: 51
Expertise Earned: 129
Fighting Style: Street, Boxing
Zenny: 12,602
Reputation: Akosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond repute

why not just crowd your opponent? stay in really close, should help with you seeing everything and if your close kicks are hard for them to make.
Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And
since Hiroshima we know what is at stake." - Viktor E. Frankl
Akosta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Gave Expertise to Akosta For This Fight Tip:
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
All Hype

The thing is my body is shaped awkwardly. Instead of have a strictly long body or thick build, i am mixed with both. So i could kivk in the short range, but i have long drawn out arms so i cant hit that easily. (you may be thinking a muay thai practitioner) However, before all this i used to play football, scraping my knees and elbows making them rough and sturdy. But, because of this my elbows usually cut, especially since i learn about the T of the face, quick and deep. So this led to people not wanting to use elbows when sparring with me.

I have long arms, normal sized legs, and a smaller torso. Great for defense but offense using legs are tricky & i refuse to stop.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
All Hype

Expertise Given: 39
Expertise Earned: 2
Fighting Style: Judo, Boxing, Kajukenbo (learning), Street Sumo
Fight Record: Enough }:)
Zenny: 1,194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psy View Post
Kicks are more diffciult to predict (the type).
Usually I look at the eyes t opredict their moves.

Amateurs usually SHOUT about the move they will do. (I have this problem as well)
I agree. I've heard Karate and TKD kicks are easier to see telegraphed than Muay Thai which have a bit more speed and hard to see coming. My best advice would be to learn to lift your leg and how to 'check' a kick.

- HG