Fight Tips » Street fighting » How to Street Fight » Tips for beginners

Notices

Tips for beginners

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Zenny: 1,867

Default Tips for beginners

I've gotten into a few fights recently (not my fault completely but just due to random drunk occurences). It made me realize that I need to learn how to defend myself better. For starting out what would you recommend? I was thinking about learning boxing and I've already been going to the gym a lot anyways from before. I don't have a ton of time but I want to fit something in my schedule to learn this. Would boxing be a good choice? and is there any basic techniques you recommend learning in the meantime like palm strikes and such. thanks for the help
precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Prospect

Zenny: 1,873

Default Re: Tips for beginners

Well for starters you could look in the how to fight section in forums and download the army fight guides.
But you should be VERY careful since a lot of it is lethal.
Especially since you said it was due to drunkeness, where things tend to get out of hand.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Force

Expertise Earned: 19
Zenny: 2,024

Well really if it's for drunken punchups boxing or kickboxing would be the way to go, and you already go to the gym so I'm presuming you have some muscle on you. Get some mates around and spar with them as if it was a street fight, that way you gain experience.
I'm just speaking realistically here, otherwise you could learn a whole bunch of martial arts and do grappling bruce lee shit and dedicate your life to some art, that way you have the 'force' in side of you, but that's just bullshit. Learn to throw a few solid punches and I reckon you'd be all good
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
CornishKing

Zenny: 0 [Check]

Bas Rutten.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 5
Zenny: 1,460

here is a simple fact learn sumthing that has been proven for good self defence wrestling/boxing/jiu-jitsu/
even something like karate is all good just pick sumthing that would fit your style
Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 4
Zenny: 1,942

if it doesnt complement your natural style it would be a waste, as you would not use it. I.E. if you never fight with open hands, what would the chances of you using a palm strike be if the situation comes? 0%, as you would be focused on doing whatever your instincts say to do. learning moves is harmful for you in the long run this way; you should focus on the basics. All martial arts teach basics.
jwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Prospect

if its street fighting you wanna be doing, i wouldnt recommend any sort of martial arts because to tell you the truth alot of the stuff just wont work out on the streets. usually a martial art teaches defense against its own self meaning that the things you learn in, lets say tae kwon do will only teach you how to fight another tae kwon do fighter. i would just take tips from people that have been around and know what theyre talking about and ask them to help you with, specifically speaking, street fighting. some martial arts or sports that may work out on the streets are muay thai, boxing, krav maga, etc. but if you get mugged and assume a tae kwon do ready stance and try to beat him up, ur gonna get wasted. the point im getting at is that in a street fight, your not gonna do sum fancy throw or w.e that u learned from a karate class especially if your drunk and hes drunk. you would just go all out on him and unload all your punches like a madman and use your instinct.
what i would do is just make up your own style of fighting that feels right and comfortable and that YOU think is effective. use trial and error and test what works on the street and what doesnt and create a form that feels perfect for YOU. but if you dont wanna do this, just take muay thai or krav maga because they seem to be the most useful in "realistic" situations where your life is threatened
jono4794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Contender

^^^ ied like to point out i once used an over the shoulder throw on a very big fat kid, and omg i learned it from a martial art.

find out whats in your area, watch class's. and narrow it down to the best teachers with the art that interests you most.

something like mma would be more sport orientated
why HAPkido might be more street orientated, ....look up hapkido competitions on you tube, those kids kick ass.

or you could just join your schools wrestling team, and then learn boxing on the off season ---- probably the cheapest option.
leviethain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 175
Expertise Earned: 312
Fighting Style: Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Street Fighting, Boxing
Fight Record: Muay Thai: 1-0 Int'l Pro 6-1-0 Amateur Boxing: 2-2
Zenny: 8,107
Reputation: Juno has a reputation beyond reputeJuno has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono4794
if its street fighting you wanna be doing, i wouldnt recommend any sort of martial arts because to tell you the truth alot of the stuff just wont work out on the streets. usually a martial art teaches defense against its own self meaning that the things you learn in, lets say tae kwon do will only teach you how to fight another tae kwon do fighter. i would just take tips from people that have been around and know what theyre talking about and ask them to help you with, specifically speaking, street fighting. some martial arts or sports that may work out on the streets are muay thai, boxing, krav maga, etc. but if you get mugged and assume a tae kwon do ready stance and try to beat him up, ur gonna get wasted. the point im getting at is that in a street fight, your not gonna do sum fancy throw or w.e that u learned from a karate class especially if your drunk and hes drunk. you would just go all out on him and unload all your punches like a madman and use your instinct.
what i would do is just make up your own style of fighting that feels right and comfortable and that YOU think is effective. use trial and error and test what works on the street and what doesnt and create a form that feels perfect for YOU. but if you dont wanna do this, just take muay thai or krav maga because they seem to be the most useful in "realistic" situations where your life is threatened
I don't agree, jono. Any martial art will build confidence, strength, endurance, etc. Who says you can't incorporate the techniques of tae kwon do into a street fight? Maybe you don't want to try certain, riskier attacks from a particular style, but I would certainly use TKD in a street fight. In fact, I already have.

In a world covered by endless water...
Juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 4
Zenny: 1,942

yeah it is pretty hard to develop a style from nothing, especially if you have no previous experience with anything(you'll just end up throwing cowboy punches).

I use TKD and boxing in street fighting. Those martial arts gave me my foundation and allowed me to adapt it to different situations.
jwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote