Fight Tips » Street fighting » How to Street Fight » Is Wing Chun good for streetfights?

Notices

Is Wing Chun good for streetfights?

How to Street Fight

All about it. Your personal stories, strategies, questions.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Zenny: 1,771

Default Is Wing Chun good for streetfights?

Ok. I'm new here but i have been reading posts for a month or so. Well. I am 15 years old 5f 7 and i weigh 170 lbs. I have almost none experience in any material arts and the only fights i have been in was friendly ones where we basicly just wrestle or push eachother around.
But i often get threats out in the city by punks showing off in front of their friends. I just talk my way out of it to prevent me getting beaten up.
Well. Last time i was out drinking in the city with some friends at my age and someone at the age of 17. Then these guys walk over to me and two of my friends. They were 10 or so, and ask us if we told his sister to go home to her mother. It was real bullshit since we haven't said anything. So i take the word for my friends since i am the only one ready to stand up if a fight comes up. He talks about why people shouldn't bother him as usual, really playing with his muscles in front of his friends. Then after i leave with 8 of my pals becouse they started yelling at one of my friends that he's brother was a rat. After that we just ran around in the city and they sent a car after us with some big 18 year old guys. Nothing really happened, so it's all good.
Well. I have spoken with a guy about Wing Chun and i have read a little on the internet about it. But i would like to know if it is good enough if i come up in a fight against multiple bigger guys. I just wanna take them down fast so i can escape without them following me. Also if you think another material art is good for me i would like to know. Thx.
TheGimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 175
Expertise Earned: 312
Fighting Style: Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Street Fighting, Boxing
Fight Record: Muay Thai: 1-0 Int'l Pro 6-1-0 Amateur Boxing: 2-2
Zenny: 8,011
Reputation: Juno has a reputation beyond reputeJuno has a reputation beyond repute

Default Re: Is Wing Chun good for streetfights?

Hey Gimp

You can't just take up any fighting style, and expect to go out and beat the world. I forget, but I think Wing Chun is the Chinese art, where you block their attack, simotaneouslu hitting at the same time? Wing Chun is an advanced style. If you want quicker results, join the wrestling team or a boxing gym.
Although Wing Chun would be a great style to learn, you can't be a one dimensional fighter. Incorporate wing chun into your boxing, wrestling, and everything else. Just train, and train hard. Train your mind and body to win, not to get stronger or faster.

In a world covered by endless water...
Juno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Poindexter

Well at least i just wanna defend myself from gangs and i heard Wing Chun was a quick way to learn alot of tecniques. Well BTW i both heard that Wing Chun and Wing Tsun is the samen and that Wing Tsun is a fake assmaster version of Wing Chun. Is there any difference? Wiki says it just the name.
Also.. You now say wrestling and boxing. Wrestling is pretty much on the ground right? And you also learn to hit at Wing Chun so why should i take them?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 4
Zenny: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp
Well at least i just wanna defend myself from gangs and i heard Wing Chun was a quick way to learn alot of tecniques. Well BTW i both heard that Wing Chun and Wing Tsun is the samen and that Wing Tsun is a fake assmaster version of Wing Chun. Is there any difference? Wiki says it just the name.
Also.. You now say wrestling and boxing. Wrestling is pretty much on the ground right? And you also learn to hit at Wing Chun so why should i take them?
its because most fights end up on the ground. My 3 years of high school wrestling made it so I can either get out of a tangle on the ground, or choke someone out on the ground. Wing Chun doesn't teach you what to do for ground fighting.
jwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Contender

if you wanna learn wing-chun, great

-check out the gym and if you like the way they teach all the better

-its better to be a master of one rather then a jack of all
--learning lots of techniques wont save you, being the master of a select few will

-yea the wrestling team would be a great supplement to your training - but expect to get pushed hard, and im talking harder then in most if not all other school sports.
leviethain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Champion

Expertise Given: 53
Expertise Earned: 228
Fighting Style: Boxing, Rugby Union(does this count?), プロレス
Zenny: 9,464
Reputation: JollyRoger has a reputation beyond reputeJollyRoger has a reputation beyond repute

Also from what I know about it, the limitations of wing chun are not how fast you learn the material, it's the development in reaction time. Wing Chun is what I call close-close combat and has a fairly high risk factor if you don't have pretty developed skills in it. Also against multiple opponents, I doubt it. People don't just fly out or writhe in pain after one counter attack like in the movies so you can go on to the next person to fight. Plus mostly group deterrence tactics require that have good distance between them and are able to use you're environment to encounter one at a time effectively if need be, but at the same time, you'll probably get taken to the ground and be stomped.

Alot of instances where I've personally witnessed groups of attackers, their first objective is to immobilize you and take you to the ground. As said by Juno and jwlee, wrestling will help if they haven't a clue about ground fighting, and allow you to escape. But in short, unless you got dynamite power in your punches, wing chun is usually one on one and requires LOTS of practice.

2006 Regional Golden Gloves Champion
2007 Coach of one State and two Regional Golden Gloves Champions
Former Fort Worth Boxing Club Coach
Former Kaka'ako Boxing Club Coach
Current Palolo Valley Boxing Club Coach
Current Ultimate Fight School Boxing Assistant Coach
Former APU Rugby Left Wing
JollyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 253
Expertise Earned: 300
Fighting Style: Kuro Goma
Fight Record: 3-6 Amateur, 2-4 Smokers
Zenny: 8,451
Reputation: SOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond reputeSOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I gotta say it

WHoever endorses Wing Chun as an effective style or even takes it seriously is a faggot.

I did 1.5 years of Wing Chun. Garbage. Most people who do Wing Chun think they're street fighting masters and claim that they're too dangerous for the ring. You don't learn SHIT. You learn all-speed-no-power punches, no kicks, no footwork, no groundwork. What makes it so effective on the street after that? Nobody's gonna be impressed with your handspeed if you do no damage.

Boxing, Muay Thai, Wrestling, BJJ and similar styles. Just keep it simple. I'd even endorse TKD before I endorsed WIng Chun.

Quote:
"I began kick boxing at age fifteen and now I have continued for fifteen years. I never gave up halfway, I just continued, and when you do that I feel now, 'hey something good will come to me'. It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength. I just continued and that got me this belt." - Masato, 10/01/2008

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!
MASATO FOREVER!
SOUL_FIGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poindexter

Thx for all the answers.. I was asking here becouse i heard people talk about how good it where and stuff so i wanted to hear how good it really was. I see my self pretty good at giving some hits but when it comes to wrestling even little guys take me down. I might should try out some wrestling. Well what would you recommend for the standing-up work? I would both like legwork and multiple attackers.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 253
Expertise Earned: 300
Fighting Style: Kuro Goma
Fight Record: 3-6 Amateur, 2-4 Smokers
Zenny: 8,451
Reputation: SOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond reputeSOUL_FIGHTER has a reputation beyond repute

Boxing and learn to kick properly

You don't even need to train full out MT

Quote:
"I began kick boxing at age fifteen and now I have continued for fifteen years. I never gave up halfway, I just continued, and when you do that I feel now, 'hey something good will come to me'. It was 99% effort and 1% talent. Continuance will become strength. I just continued and that got me this belt." - Masato, 10/01/2008

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING!
MASATO FOREVER!
SOUL_FIGHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Earned: 4
Zenny: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp
Thx for all the answers.. I was asking here becouse i heard people talk about how good it where and stuff so i wanted to hear how good it really was. I see my self pretty good at giving some hits but when it comes to wrestling even little guys take me down. I might should try out some wrestling. Well what would you recommend for the standing-up work? I would both like legwork and multiple attackers.
wing chun is fast strikes yes? Then ideally if someone were to try and grapple with you, your fast strikes would be able to disable their lunging or whatever they try to do to bring you to the ground.

well... ideally.
jwlee7 is offline   Reply With Quote