Fight Tips » General » Personal Training Logs » Basic Kickboxing Combinations

Notices

Basic Kickboxing Combinations

Personal Training Logs

Keep track of your weight loss and workout goals!

Old 04-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 14
Expertise Earned: 4
Fighting Style: MMA, Burmese Kickboxing (lethwei), Muay thai,
Zenny: 887

Post Basic Kickboxing Combinations

You can use these in sparring and shadowboxing.

1. Jab-Jab-Cross-Jab Targets: Head-Head-Head-Head
The idea of the is to trick the opponent into thinking that you 1-2 (jab-cross) so you catch him off-guard with another jab then land a devastating cross and land a strong jab to finish him off.

2. Jab-Cross-Roundhouse (rear leg) Targets:Head-Head-Body
A basic kickboxing technique. The reason that people prefer the roundhouse over front, side kicks and such is because it generates A LOT of power. If the kick is consistently practiced, it will be easy to break the opponents ribs.

3. Push Kick(front leg)-Jab-Cross Targets: Body-Head-Head
If your opponent is coming in at a dangerous close range, you use the push kick to push him away and instinctively, you will step up as you throw the cross after the jab.

4. Slip the Jab whilst jabbing the body-Right Cross-Left Hook-Overhand Right Targets-Body-Head-Cheek-Head
Pretty simple, basically dodge/duck/avoid the punch then throw your own jab at the same time, then cross, then hook, then throw an overhand.

5.Switch Stance-Inside Leg Kick-Cross-Jab-Side Kick Targets: Opponent's leg (behind knee/back of thigh)-Head-Head-Body
This is something that can be practiced from both normal (north-paw?) or southpaw. The switch stance is just to look cool and #ninjashit while doing it. i'm joking, anyway, so you kick the dude behind the knee or behind the thigh of the dude's front leg so the leg is now jacked up. You 2-1 him and the side kick will knock him down. THIS IS A PRACTICAL COMBINATION. I've done this during sparring and the side kick threw him off balance and he was holding his leg in agony.

6.Jab-Hook(front)-Cross Targets: Head-Head-Head
This one is one for boxers. Most people use the jab to bring the other guys guard to the front of his face then use that hook to get around the guard and into his cheek and finish off with a powerful cross.

7 Pivot Waist to left with left body hook-Left Head Hook-Right Cross-Left Uppercut Targets: Body-Head-Head-Head(Chin)
You should try to use this if someone throws haymakers. After you duck, you're in the perfect position to throw the combo.

8.Jab-Cross-Roundhouse(Rear leg lands forward)-Knee(Opposite lands forward)[you can clinch if you want to]-Elbow Targets: Head-Head-Body-Head/Body-Head
I used to do this combo in Lethwei because I found it to flow in my sparring perfectly. There are three ways to throw the elbows: Downwards like an overhand, Sidewards like a hook or upwards like an uppercut.

9.Jab-Duck hook off feeder's rear hand (duck right-to-left)-Hook off front-Cross Targets-Head-Head-Head
One of the most powerful combos, unfortunetly this is pretty hard to land. The main reason being is that the feeder will 7/10 draw back the punch into guard rather than keep in hanging open for you to throw the hook. Most trained people will (by instinct) throw a knee when you duck so duck and come back up fast.

10. Jab-Cross-Hook-Side Kick-Back Thrust Targets-Head-Head-Head-Body-Body
Another hard combo, not that hard to land, but hard to do without practice. If you can land all of the kicks cleanly then you will look like a boss. If you put too much power into that last kick, the momentum will sweep the other leg, thus losing balance, thus faceplanting yourself, thus looking like a fucking idiot. (I know this from personal experience)

11.Jab-Cross-Slip to right (slip opponent's jab)-Slip to left (slip opponnent's cross)-Duck Left-to-Right (ducking opponent's leading hook)-Cross. Targets: Head-Head-Head
This is more of a duck/slip drill which I like to use during shadow boxing. It's hard to use in sparring unless you've instinctively gotten used to it.

12 Clinch-Round Knee (Right knee)-Round Knee (Left knee)-Forward Knee (pushing feeder away)-Roundhouse (Back Leg) Targets: Body-Body-Body-Head
Works best in grappling situations. The move you need to concentrate the most on is the roundhouse to the face because, if performed properly, will stun the opponent, so you can finish him/her off.

Post your own combinations below and hopefully I will try to get this into a proper thread. Cheers

-Chris

Last edited by XxBlackxX; 04-22-2012 at 02:16 AM.
XxBlackxX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Gave Expertise to XxBlackxX For This Fight Tip:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contender

Expertise Given: 15
Fighting Style: teukgong moosool
Zenny: 404

Default Re: Basic Kickboxing Combinations

Omd thx u epic guy, btw do you think it would be good to jab,cross and then push kick?

Last edited by kyosa; 04-21-2012 at 09:48 PM.
kyosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 14
Fighting Style: MMA, Burmese Kickboxing (lethwei), Muay thai,
Zenny: 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyosa View Post
Omd thx u epic guy, btw do you think it would be good to jab,cross and then push kick?
Yeah any combination works. These are just my favourite to do during sparring/shadowboxing.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Contender

Expertise Given: 15
Fighting Style: teukgong moosool
Zenny: 404

ok thx for the info
kyosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fan Favorite

Expertise Given: 56
Expertise Earned: 25
Fighting Style: Boxing
Fight Record: Point Fighting: 3-3
Zenny: 363

Jab-Jab-Cross-Jab has officially become my favorite combo ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akosta View Post
There exists no defense that cannot be punched through.
-Krauss
Krauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gatekeeper

Expertise Given: 5
Expertise Earned: 24
Fighting Style: Hit & Run
Zenny: 2,108

I could post a very (very) long list of combinations here from a list I have on my laptop, but it isn't as detailled as yours as it only contains the strike, not the target area or an explanation. And I'm not sure if it's bullshit or not, I haven't had the time to read it, but it sounds very strange in some parts.
I'm going to post the combinations Bas Rutten has in the workout he published later if you say its useful, but they are very basic as well.

-tramp
tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
DSG
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: K1 kickboxing, grappling
Fight Record: 4-0 kickboxing, 2-1 grappling
Zenny: 641

1 Inside ankle roundhouse (to set them square, inside thigh can work, but once you're tired there's a higher chance of accidentally hitting them in the crotch), 2 front kick to the solarplex, then 3 spinning side kick to the body or to the face, ideally the chin (looks like roundhouse, but instead of hitting with the shin, hit with your heel)
Example: both orthodox fighters (neither are southpaws)- lead leg ankle roundhouse, lead leg front kick, rear leg side kick
Note: this combo can be adjusted for many kicks, it depends on the effect that you want to create (this one is to create powerful kicks from a distance), such as lead leg ankle kick, lead leg head kick, rear leg ankle roundhouse (I've used this combo to literally kick the person's leg out from under to knock them down, these kicks are shorter)
DSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
DSG
Poindexter

inside ankle kick (to square them up), jab, cross, jab, cross (the punches are meant for distraction, not power, so that the hands come up and they forget about kicks), finally rear leg roundhouse (ankle to knock them down or off balance, thigh to hurt the leg and slow them down, under the ribs to gas them out)
Old 11-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
DSG
Poindexter

rear leg ankle kick (to make them lose balance and "turtle" away), rear leg heel hook (to the face, in hopes that the hands of your opponent dropped after the ankle kick), lead leg front kick (to the body), from here there should be distance created, so throw strikes that have distance (jab, cross, rear leg front kick, side kicks

if you aren't very flexible or don't like the heel hook kick, switch the heel hook to a crescent kick (but hit them in the hands to knock them down), then follow through with a lead leg roundhouse to the face, from here you can throw most of your strikes, so mix it up
(if either is a southpaw, switch rear to lead and vice versa)
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Gatekeeper

Expertise Given: 12
Expertise Earned: 19
Fighting Style: Freestyle, BJJ
Fight Record: 0/0 (Official)
Zenny: 2,017

You know, you can edit posts to add more information. Double and triple posting is frowned upon.

Feel free to give exp or + rep if I help. (Or not, but it's appreciated.)

Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote