Fight Tips » MMA & Training » Training & Technique » Using bodyweight exercises to build mass.

Notices

Using bodyweight exercises to build mass.

Training & Technique

Learn how to fight with correct technique

Old 12-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Contender

Expertise Given: 12
Expertise Earned: 12
Fighting Style: Boxing, Street
Fight Record: N/A
Zenny: 585

Default Using bodyweight exercises to build mass.

I often hear that common myth, bodyweight exercises are only good for strength. This is what many bodybuilders believe, (not all) and try to avoid them. They would tell you that only lifting extremely heavy weights will build mass. Well this is true, if you want to build serious mass. Doing bodyweight exercises will build some mass, its only that weights are more effective. But how do bodyweight exercises build mass? The same way you build mass with weight exercises. Your muscles are stressed, therefore breaking the muscle tissue. Then it will build back bigger and stronger in your sleep (if you have enough of the necessary nutrients for it). But we all know this. How do you build muscle with bodyweight exercises ONLY?

Well here comes the difference in bodyweight and weighted exercises. With weights, you can just keep adding more weight to that barbell or what ever you're using. However with bodyweight exercises, you don't want to gain weight just to increase the intensity of your workout. There is a specific technique designed for building muscle mass.

Most people think that just doing countless reps will build the mass for you, but it isn't true. If you actually wanna build mass, you have to follow this easy technique.
1) Pick a bodyweight exercise.
2) For 15 minutes, do 3 reps with only 10 seconds break in between.
3) Every time the 3 reps get harder, add 10 more seconds.
Remember that you don't want to hit failure and you don't want to be fatigued.
(This workout is not as easy as it sounds).
(This technique was studied and proven to work. Expect results from maybe day one).
(Please don't ignore weight training. This thread isn't meant to throw weight training out of your routine. Treat both the same and I guarantee you will benefit from it.).

Edit: With this technique, you are sure to build strength and mass. But what if it becomes too easy and you maybe hit a plateau? This will just lead to no more mass gains. Well here is what you can do:
Progressive Overload
More Reps
You can add more reps, as this is obvious. It will be effective, but not as much as what I will say next. Adding more reps will increase the intensity and maybe help you get out of that plateau. You can also add more time, as in one minute to the workout. For example, you can add two minutes every time the workout becomes easy, from 15 to 17 and so on. You should stop and reps when you get to a maximum of 12 reps. After 12 reps, you should do weighted training which is what I will discuss next.

Weighted Training
You'll probably find it difficult to build a big bulky body without this method. As I said above, you don't want to add bodyweight to increase the intensity of the workout. However, you can use other sources of weight to increase the intensity. For example, you can put on a book bag filled with heavy books or maybe bricks. As this is effective and doesn't take much money, there are better ways to add weight. Putting chains around yourself is very effective. They are much heavier than they seem to look. Although this is more effective than the book bag, chains aren't going to be very easy to find. The most effective and recommended equipment is the weighted vest. A weighted vest is made for the sole purpose of adding weight to the body to intensify your workouts. They are sold for as less as $30 and the 40lb vests are as much as $80. They are also very easy to find, as they are sold in sporting goods stores. This method will definitely get you out of a plateau and build more strength, mass, and endurance.

Last edited by Moe7; 02-13-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Moe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Underdog

Expertise Given: 21
Expertise Earned: 4
Fighting Style: Boxing, brawling, street
Fight Record: 6 won 1 lost
Zenny: 1,364

Default Re: Using bodyweight exercises to build mass.

Good thread mate, i will try this either tomorrow or sunday.

Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. Mahummad Ali
Boxerbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Legend

Expertise Given: 117
Expertise Earned: 83
Fighting Style: Kickboxing, SJJ
Fight Record: I Aint no bitch homie
Zenny: 2,467
Reputation: Homiesdontknowaboutsparta has a reputation beyond reputeHomiesdontknowaboutsparta has a reputation beyond repute

This is true to an extent, my chest and back got alot bigger with just pushups/pullups, but its very hard to get bigger arms, legs and shoulders with just body weight. You need to add weight to these routines or the plateua is inevitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thibault View Post
boxing but with your legs too...and punch hard
Homiesdontknowaboutsparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homiesdontknowaboutsparta View Post
This is true to an extent, my chest and back got alot bigger with just pushups/pullups, but its very hard to get bigger arms, legs and shoulders with just body weight. You need to add weight to these routines or the plateua is inevitable.
That's why I said not to ignore weight training when I posted the thread because you are right, it's pretty hard to get bigger arms with only bodyweight. However you can achieve bigger arms with chin ups.

Last edited by Moe7; 12-17-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Contender

I just edited the thread with more information. If anyone has a question, just tell me so that I can add it to the thread.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: RAT
Zenny: 945

Yeah I did a post on this 2 no need to rub it......
luckyluciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluciano View Post
Yeah I did a post on this 2 no need to rub it......
No you didn't. You said things completely different than what I said in this thread. You talked about strength training to increase punching power. I talked about increasing mass using bodyweight only.

Last edited by Moe7; 02-13-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Prospect

Expertise Given: 15
Expertise Earned: 4
Fighting Style: Street Fighter,Kickboxer
Fight Record: 1-1
Zenny: 650

Im doing this for 2 days now and i have results
stichko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by stichko View Post
Im doing this for 2 days now and i have results
Good keep working at it.