Fight Tips » Street fighting » Weapons » All about Bo Staff.

Notices

All about Bo Staff.

Weapons

The use of weapons for self-defense.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 1
Expertise Earned: 0
Fighting Style: Street fighting
Zenny: 911

Default All about Bo Staff.

The bo staff is a weapon used in a variety of martial arts. It is a long stick, but extremely effective when used by a trained martial artist. Bo staffs could be made from wood, graphite, or bamboo. Like many weapons, this started as a farm tool. It was used across the shoulders to help carry buckets of food or water. People soon learned that it was also a good weapon, and today we use it in many martial arts. Different bo staff techniques include spinning, the neck roll, the wrist roll, the vertical throw, figure eight, and the thrust.

Spinning a bo staff is usually the first technique taught when using this weapon, because it will help you gain confidence with the weapon. Hold the bo horizontally in front of you with both hands at the center. Your left palm should be facing the floor while your right palm is facing the ceiling. Move the bo to the left until it makes a full circle. You will have to momentarily let go with your left hand. Reach your left hand over and grab above your right. Continue this process of spinning and you will soon be spinning the bo like a professional. Remember to keep your right palm down and your left up.

EXAMPLE -

My Favourite thing about the Bo staff is that it is very light, effective and good for holding off multiple attackers and keeping people from getting close. A bo staff can be held with both hands close to the end of the staff or each hand separated ( as if holding a Kayak paddle ). So strikes can be made and a short and long distance.

When I train with this weapon I like to start any new spins I try slowly and as I am spinning speed up when I begin to feel comfortable.

BEGINNERS - ( WHAT BO STAFF TO CHOOSE )

I personally Use a metal Bo ( 6 Feet long ) But they're not the best beginners weapons, (Although I had it since I started training).
If you can't afford to purchase a Bo staff and just want to get a feel for it, try using a metal broomstick or a wooden push broom handle.
If you do have money, Get either bamboo or oak. They are the most durable for being dropped and hit off of things.

IF anyone has any questions feel free.
unfullyxnormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Expertise Given: 19
Expertise Earned: 25
Fighting Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD, Boxing, high-school wrestling, krav maga.
Fight Record: nothing official yet
Zenny: 3,201

Default Re: All about Bo Staff.

Not to rain on anyone's parade here....but is a Bo Staff a viable option for "self defense"? (Defined by: people are attacking you, they mean you serious harm. Defend thyself)

I assume you do this as more of a martial arts type thing and an interest than as training for self defense......right?
tylereast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Poindexter

Expertise Given: 0
Fighting Style: Isshin-Jitsu
Fight Record: Don't Keep a Record
Zenny: 701

A bo is not something you will be carrying with you in day to day life but any long stick, metal pipe and such can be used from your environment. So learning to use one and get get comfortable with it is still a good idea.
Alokkair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Inspiration

Expertise Given: 51
Expertise Earned: 129
Fighting Style: Street, Boxing
Zenny: 12,631
Reputation: Akosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond reputeAkosta has a reputation beyond repute

yeah... so back to what tyler said... its practically useless in the environments we tend to live it.

yes it would be good to learn for the odd time u need it.

especially in extreme cases... like zombie apocalypses, mutant creatures invading, ninja assassination missions, complete eradication of all social structure and law... it could be very useful. just unlikely to be needed.

personally id love to learn all weapons effectively... why? cause im batshit fuckin insane and happen to think doom is immenent in this day and age. its all going to shit question is when.
Auschwitz we know what man is capable of. And
since Hiroshima we know what is at stake." - Viktor E. Frankl
Akosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Legend

Expertise Given: 52
Expertise Earned: 62
Fighting Style: Jihad
Fight Record: Killed over 4000 Infidels
Zenny: -117
Reputation: Ilusionaryleft has a reputation beyond reputeIlusionaryleft has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akosta View Post
yeah... so back to what tyler said... its practically useless in the environments we tend to live it.

yes it would be good to learn for the odd time u need it.

especially in extreme cases... like zombie apocalypses, mutant creatures invading, ninja assassination missions, complete eradication of all social structure and law... it could be very useful. just unlikely to be needed.

personally id love to learn all weapons effectively... why? cause im batshit fuckin insane and happen to think doom is immenent in this day and age. its all going to shit question is when.
Dam I love the way U put ur post today...xD
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
Ilusionaryleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Poindexter

A Bo staff is a good skill to have, Because if you are attacked and spot a long stick / pole, you will know how to defend yourself with it. Any weapon you learn to use is a good self defence weapon, although not as common as other weapons, It's useful to know. I've brought Bo staffs on walks, Pass it as a walking stick. ''to prevent against animal attack''
Old 10-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Legend

Expertise Given: 19
Expertise Earned: 25
Fighting Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD, Boxing, high-school wrestling, krav maga.
Fight Record: nothing official yet
Zenny: 3,201

I have never spotted a long stick or pole. Ever. I've seen broom sticks. Not very heavy. Yes, you can spin it around and hit em in the temple. Will most likely just piss them off. If anything, using the ends to thrust into certain areas would produce the best results. And you don't need hours and hours of training to learn how to do that.

This falls into that "Yes is kind of sort of works....but why not learn something MORE useful?" category.
tylereast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Poindexter

I thought it fell into the ''Weapons'' Catagory, Because it is a weapon.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
HALL OF FAMER

Expertise Given: 3
Expertise Earned: 93
Fight Record: Score is irrelevant
Zenny: 10,530
Reputation: SpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedDemon has a reputation beyond repute

try practicing striking with a rubber bo. it's very hard. the ends shake like crazy, and to keep it in place (like you would in a strike), you have to actually try and hold it back. it's pretty tough.

bo staffs are fun to use, but extremely impractical. You can't argue with that.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
BOSS

Expertise Given: 22
Expertise Earned: 368
Fighting Style: South-East Asian
Zenny: 24,309
Reputation: Luther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond reputeLuther has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler: Do you EVER stop hating? Ever?

We have something similar in Kali/Silat called a Sibat.

Sometimes learning a weapon has nothing to do with you using it, but learning how to defend against that type of weapon.

-Luther

No Longer a FightTips Moderator; Retired. Please make another appointment with the receptionist on the way out.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote